Georgi Chapkanov - Chapa
Born on January 24, 1943 in Valchi Dol, District of Varna.
Graduated High School of Ats in Sofia, subject- Sculpture with teacher- Petar Ramadanov. In 1969 graduated in National Academy of Arts in the class of professor Ivan Mandov and reader Iliya Iliev. Has a specialization in Paris.
First exhibitions are:1975-Sofia, 1976 Plovdiv. He has participations in all representative exhibitions of The Union of Bulgarian artists in foreign countries. Has exhibition in Swiss -1976, 1978, 1980, 1983, Viena- 1986. Now he has over 30 exhibitions all over the world. His small plastic arts are in numerous private collections in the world and big sculptures are in public places and museum all over the world.
Among museum which posses his works are- National Art Gallery in Sofia, hermitage Museum in saint Petersburg, Museum "Pushkin" in Moscow, Lalit Kara Academy in New Delhi, Moran Open-Air Museum in South Korea, Hakone -Open-Air Museum in Japan, La Blade de Seprai in Swiss, collection "Peter Ludwig"-Germany, Museum "Moutier"- Swiss.
- A winner of awards:
- An award of The Union of Bulgarian artists for a portrait(1969, 1982)
- "Gold Aesop" (1975)
- "Marko Markov" of The Union of Bulgarian artists (1977, 1979, 1986)
- An award of "Hakone"Museum in Japan(1990)
- An award of "Hakone"Museum in Japan for "perfection"(1991)
- from The Trienale of Fine Arts in New Delhi(1991)
- "Sulmona" of the President of Italia, because Chapkanov made the bronze bust of Federico Fellini.
- Grand Prix in Paris(2002)
Chapkanov is co-author of the coat of arms of Bulgaria(1997), an author of the statue St. Sophia(2002), The Monument "Vysotsky" in Varshets(2007), The Monument of Independence in Sofia(2007, "Orpheus and Eurydice" in Smolyan(2007, the sculptures of Petko and Pencho Slaveykov on the same name square in Sofia., Charlie Chaplin, Don Quixote and Hitar Petar in Gabrovo and etc.
Also he is an author of monets, medals and a small statue of Theatre Award "Askeer" and many portraits of Bulgarian famous persons.